Monday, July 28, 2008

Use Blogs for Test Corrections

Consider the classroom experience of teacher Jennifer O'Dea:

"With two degrees already under my belt and two years experience as a nutrition educator, I felt pretty academically accomplished at the ripe old age of 26. What I experienced in my classes at UC Berkeley absolutely astounded me! I was enrolled in a health education theory class with 15 bright young students from around the US and the globe. The class ran from 12-3 pm on a Wednesday afternoon and the WHOLE class was based on student discussion. Students were assigned a few readings which we came to class to discuss - for three whole hours! I was (for the first time in my academic life) totally dumbfounded. Paralyzed with fear, confusion, intimidation and a surprisingly powerful sense of self-consciousness about my Aussie accent, I was unable to utter a sound in class."

Her description of how this assignment made her feel reminded me of the looks I see on some of my student's faces when I announce that we are going to do Test Corrections. I have tried doing them in pairs, in groups, and with dividing the class in half with me doing Version B and my co-teacher Marsha facilitating version A. But, no matter how I present it, I cannot change the fact that many many students feel uncomfortable discussing their errors in a face-to-face setting. So, since we know they are very comfortable communicating over the web, here is my assignment for a Blog version of Test Corrections:

Test Corrections: This Discussion is GRADED!

Each Unit test is cumulative. Thus, before the next unit test you should review past unit sheets and past tests. When you get your graded test back, I will have circled the Correct answers. In your test correction you need to put in your own words, WHY THE CIRCLED ANSWER IS CORRECT. You may reference the unit sheet, a textbook page or a workbook page. To receive credit for this discussion you need to POST an request for help on one of your incorrect problems, and RESPOND TO TWO inquiries regardless of whether they had bee previously answered. Your wording may be just what that student needs to see the light!

No comments: