Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lesson Idea: WikiUnitSheets

For the last 5 years I have been editing the unit sheets if I had time by adding diagrams, illustrations and hyperlinks to animations, video clips and other chemistry sites. Why not have the students do this in a wiki format? I will use pbwiki.com and see what they come up with.

I will first model a web-based unit sheet in Unit 1 and instruct them to clarify the essential knowledge contained on the basic unit sheet through diagrams and illustrations and to add hyperlinks. I will caution them not to add too much to the level of complexity, as the next unit sheet will add a layer of complexity (I use the Edison Model of teaching - a spiraling curriculum developed by the teachers at Thomas Edison High School in Alexandria, VA)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla:

You know how easy is for the students to be on task, to stay on task and to put their findings together at a specific moment. For them is very easy to relate to websites, but the difficulty is to make a selection for a good site. What kind of information will be a "good" one, and how much they know about what is a relaiable site? This is the downside of this initiative. And you need to think, how much time do you have for the unit, and how much information will be processed by the student in that amount of time? Are you going to assess the creation of weblinked units? I do not think so.

I think this could be an idea for a science fair project: students could study what are the steps involved in the selection of websites to create weblinked units. During this project, they could "experiment" with their peers to find out how many students will use the links, why and whith what result (improving grades, perhaps? - you cannot ask for deep understanding!)

C. Viands said...

I love the idea of developing and testing the effectiveness of a Web-based unit sheet as a science fair project idea. Tha students can also use the online quiz function of Blackboard to collect data.

I agree that using the Wiki option will require some more scaffolding. I think Unit 4 would give them enough experience with the resource to give it a go.

Thanks!